Friday 13 January 2012

3 Listen to the Little Voices


A little voice in my head said:  “Get  Fit”    

Awww,  come on!  My weight is fine, apart from a few extra kilos from Xmas celebrations, they always disappear in a few weeks.  Maybe bits are not quite as firm as they used to be, it’s an age thing!

Why would I need to be fit anyway?  All I would be doing is sitting on a bike, so I dismissed the thought.
The following week, I was compelled to train, that afternoon I pulled into the garage area to my unit, I saw a group of women (all around half my age) being trained by one of the residents!  

How funny, I had been driving into the garage each night and hadn’t I noticed this before.
Having trained previously, I knew what to expect, although it has been a year since I last exercised.

I introduced myself to Tim and told him what I wanted , he suggested three times a week. The first session was an all round fitness test.

Day one:   I woke up the next morning a little tired and taut.  During the day my muscles began to progressively contract, a bit chuffed with myself that I had pushed myself, the effort was not in vain. 

Day two:  As I opened my eyes on day two, every muscle in my body screamed “Don’t move!”
 
I lifted my head off the pillow in an attempt to sit up, my muscles yelled,  “I told you DO-NOT-MOVE!”

I couldn’t , not from a lack of trying, yet I had to go to work. 

After 15 minutes of testing each muscle for functionality, the best I could do was to roll my body very ungainly to the side of my bed and swing my legs to the floor. Using my hands to support my thighs, I pushed on them, enabling me to stand semi upright.  

My body was contorted into an ‘S’ shape, I groaned with each shuffle towards the bathroom.  I felt 110 years old!

I cursed the Softail.  Hmmm!

How the heck am I going to front up and train again tonight?
Well I did, begrudgingly , and again two nights later.

After my third session, I noticed my muscles were waking up and springing into action, once again.  Thank goodness for muscle memory with all the training I had endured over the decades, results were coming swiftly.

I wondered why I would need to be fit?   A friend laughed and told me the Softail Deluxe is around 350kg,  “Would you be able to pick it up if it fell over? “

Ohhhhhh….. even if I was fit I still couldn’t,  would have to ask several people to help me!

Oh well there must be a reason!
I decided to go with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment